Saturday, June 21, 2008

Ponderosa, Cortland, NY

Restaurant Review by Jennifer Kumar.


Meet and Greet
Upon entering, the host stands at the check in desk. Here they ask how many in the party and you pay at this point itself. Since you pay before you experience the service, you can decide to pay the tip at this point itself or leave cash on the table on your way out. If you opt for the second choice, remember to take cash with you. When we entered, there was a special promo going on. For each receipt from a fast food restaurant, the buffet would be only $5 (I think it’s usually $7-8). I handed over one Dunkin Donuts receipt, which covered the two of us at $5 each. Drinks are not included in the buffet price, so it was an extra couple dollars per person for the drinks.


Mise en Scène
Scenery inside is typical of any buffet restaurant or diner. It was clean and inviting. The buffet was well stocked and, for the most part, clean. Each buffet item had its own spoon. This can be an issue for me being a vegetarian because I don’t want meat mixed in with my items. But, this is a hazard of any buffet (outside most Indian restaurants) in U.S.

I did use the restrooms. They were clean and fresh. But, the people inside were quite interesting. Out of the four of us inside, I was the only one that washed hands with soap and water after using the toilet. Of the other three, two did not wash at all, but casually left the room, and the other lady stuck her fingertips under the water and wiped her wet hands on her dress! Yuck! It may seem good these ladies were not on staff, but these ladies would go back and take food from buffet, touching their hands to serving spoons, plates, etc. YUCK!!!


Choosing a Veggie Treat

I was impressed by the number of veggie items I could eat on the buffet. I used to visit this restaurant on a regular basis as a child with my family, and remember at that time a menu heavily meat based. Maybe I remember it that way because I was a meat eater back then. That being the case, they have updated the menu and there were enough non-meat items on the buffet that allowed me to make a few trips up to enjoy the American fare (ex. Macaroni and cheese, pasta, boiled veggies, buns, vegetable salads, etc.). It’s nice from time to time to eat such foods without a lot of spices, and a bland taste as compared to Indian foods. It cleans my palate!! There were also a few tasty deserts to enjoy after the meal.


Checking In

Wait staff refilled our drinks and cleared our plates in a timely way.


See you later

Because you pay when you enter, there is no need to wait for the bill or paying for the bill. On the way out the host at the front desk will thank you for coming.


Pay Scale

$6-10 per person (May be more without promo, or if you order off the menu.)
Tips 10% of bill seemed to be sufficient
Star System 2.5/5

(Entering this place would not be my first choice in that area. My first choice would be Garcia’s Mexican, followed by Applebee’s if it were for lunch. For me, most American buffets would get such a rating unless the service and cleanliness were of a lower standard only because for vegetarians like me who like a spicier fare, this was quite bland. And, being no fault of the establishment, but I did not like what I saw in the restrooms. It grossed me out.)


To find/Contact

Ponderosa Steakhouse
Route 13 and Lime Hollow Road
Cortland, NY 13045

(607) 756-2383
www.ponderosasteakhouses.com
Directions to Ponderosa Steakhouses, Cortland, NY

**Noted that Google Maps seem to have Ponderosa in two locations in Cortland (location 1) (location 2), neither of these locations house Ponderosa. Wonder how that happened?

**This review is based on our visit in April 2008.

No comments: