Saturday, December 15, 2007

Moti Mahal, Buffalo. NY

Restaurant Review by Jennifer Kumar.

Moti Mahal is a long standing Indian restaurant in Buffalo, NY.

The last time I was there was in 1998. But, as we drove by there the other day, I remarked to my husband, who speaks Hindi that I thought Moti Mahal was a funny name for a restaurant. I knew Moti to mean 'fat' and Mahal to mean 'palace' in Hindi. I always found that funny to eat at a place called 'Fat palace'- should be spelled with a PH! (As in Phat Palace!)

Anyhow, I was told that there are two words in Hindi Moti- which means fat, and Mothi which means gem. But when these words are translated from the Devanagri script, the letter is T in both cases, but pronounced differently. Dumb Americans like me would not know, then mistaking Gem for Fat!

Jokes and linguistic lessons aside, I remember it to be a nice place for North Indian food.

To find Moti Mahal
3545 Sheridan Dr Amherst, NY 14226
(716) 837-3038

No comments: